Friday, September 7, 2018

Types of people in a Matatu

South c, South b, 111, 23, Westie, Kangemi, Na doni, namba nane baby.Ain’t no city like ma city oh no no no, Na-Nairobi, They can’t do it like we do it in the 254, Na- Nairobi,Ma hustler Na madem supuu,Kawangware to Buruburu,I love ma city oh yes I do, Na, Na Na-Nairobi-Mayonde feat Stone Jiwee's Nairobi
I mostly take matatus to and from work and for most of my errands.Therefore I am quite the expert on all matters matatu for two routes in the city that is the number 11 and 46 routes.Which matatus are quite,which are cheapest, those that always go to the destination irrespective of the situation on the road and the many different routes that could be used to get from point A to B.

In matatus rarely do you speak to the person that sits next to you.It shocks me just how much I never remember about all the people I sit next on matatus.This also means they don't remember me and therefore if you ever worried about what people thought of you, just know they aren't thinking of you at all unless you are pretty special to them.

Countless matatu rides and here are the kinds of people I have encountered;

The Reader

These are those people who as soon as they settle in,they start reading, mostly e-books on their phones.Some I even see reading in the morning around 6.30 AM! whilst I am struggling with thoughts on how to accomplish the most at work. Yaani they have me questioning my life choices especially on how I spend time. I am very envious of morning readers, they must have their lives in order for them to be chasing their reading goals at the start of the day.Sometimes I think they must be students who have an exam and are therefore doing some last minute reading.

The Eater

The Naivas cafes always come through,the winner though is their bakery.This obviously isn't me but someone who agrees with me on this matter.The Naivas Bakery chocolate chip cupcakes are so bomb!!!.
These are the worst to have as a seat mate especially if you are hungry.They fill the matatu with the aroma of their food making every one salivate because mostly they are always on the evening bus.At that time all of us are hungry hence why this can be a small torture.Increasingly though I see people having yoghurt,maize and crisps.These foods have no aroma, which is great for the rest of us.Most of the eaters on matatus are women, I wonder why.

The Friends/Family

I also want a friend who will carry me on a shot ten minute trip because she can't see me suffer 😅😅
These are people who get on a matatu and are very clear that no one else knows them.They therefore catch up on gossip.They let all of us in on their stories,world and schemes.Most of these conversations I don't remember but there is one that I don't think I will forget anytime soon.This man was planning how he will ensure one of his workmates suffers and he had a detailed evil plan on how to do this.

Please don't discuss your secrets or evil plans on a matatu even if you speak your mother tongue chances are there are people who speak it and maybe even know the people you are talking about.

The  Gentlemen

On Wednesday last week it rained unexpectedly at around 4.30 PM the worst possible time for it to rain.Normally there are no queues on the bus stop for the number 11 matatus.Rains however change a lot of things and one of them is each time it rains matatus disappear from the stage. This means that when one shows up people have to push and shove and usually it's the strongest or most strategic that get in.

These two sister who were together decided one will push her way in,get two seats and then her  sister will get in when all the struggle has finished.This plan looks like a good plan only that there was a huge fight over the seat her sister reserved for her.A lady had pushed her way in only to find the only available seat reserved and she refused to understand how someone will stand outside comfortably and get a seat yet she didn't.So she forcefully sat on the reserved seat.

The sister who had a reserved seat was an angry woman she came in and SHOUTED insults and made the ride home very entertaining for me. The other lady wasn't moved she even got a book out and started reading 😅😅. The angry sister wouldn't let it go she started bending so as to maintain eye contact with the person who stole her seat. Eventually a guy stood up and let her sit because he is a gentleman and couldn't stand seeing two grown women fight over a matatu seat.The traffic jam on this day was the worst and he stood for maybe an hour before alighting.I wonder the stories he told when he got home that day or maybe he lives alone and went home thinking thank God I have no woman in my life.

The Friendly Stranger

I was once the friendly stranger and will start conversations with people I didn't know.Conversation on Kenya,how the country is doing,politics and stuff in the news.Now I am scared of such people. This is what Nairobi does to you it teaches you to fear and to be wary of strangers.These are very few and rarely do I encounter them.What I love the most though is those people who say hi to you as they seat next to you and nothing more.

The Musician

These are always young people,those still in college.They sing along to their favourite songs if they are played on the matatu and do it loudly without a care.Ahhhhhh to be young and carefree.

Do you use Matatus often,are you any of these kinds of people? what other kinds of people have you encountered.I am a mix of all these but mostly I am the reader.I get on a matatu in the evenings and on most days chase my reading goals,some days I stare outside and sometimes I sleep!! I know,yes I am one of those.

No comments:

Post a Comment