Sunday, June 9, 2013

Dadaab Beach Resort

I never knew Wilson airport had more than the usual terminal we sit at when waiting for the ECHO flight back to work on Mondays and Thursdays mostly.From watching the Saitoti's story on Jicho pevu at least I know there is a VIP waiting lounge and now I know apparently there are also other waiting lounges and I get see one when I was traveling to Dadaab.

The flight I was on was scheduled for 2 PM(good I get to stay home longer) I wondered what humanitarian flight leaves Nairobi at 2 PM on Monday but was quite happy that I didn't have to be in Nairobi overnight :-). I arrive in Nairobi at 11 am from Isiolo and check in is at 12 noon so I have a lot of time to get to Wilson.Time that I should maybe use to just sit and have a look at Nairobi for sometime.

The villager in me always loves the streets and the beautiful buildings in Nairobi and every time I'm in Nairobi I always think this place is soooooooo beautiful.I keep on asking the driver if he knows the ALS terminal and he says yes but kumbe he is not so sure where it is but at least we both know where Wilson is. we can always ask for directions when we arrive.

After asking around we finally reach the ALS terminal and it's a bit classier than the one I'm used to for boarding ECHO flights and the people sitted here look like tourists.Picture this like 95% have sunglasses and are wearing very casual outfits(Jeans,shorts, tights,t-shirts,canvas shoes and for the ladies sleeves tops- mostly really casual outfits).

I'm looking at all these people and I'm thinking they surely can't be going to Dadaab there has to be other flights they are waiting for and to my shock most work for different agencies in Dadaab.Some are going to Malindi and Mombasa but very few(I know this because their flights were before ours)

So the call for boarding the WFP flight is made and all of us carry our carry on luggage and go to board as we are walking people start asking each other-so since most flights are going to Mombasa and Malindi where is ours headed (just playing because we all know where we are going) after some discussion it's settled that we are heading to Dadaab beach resort.If the dress code and the general look of the people boarding this flight is anything to go by then Dadaab might just have an element of being a beach resort(even if it's in just in our heads)


No comments:

Post a Comment