Thursday, November 12, 2015

I'm not fair but I am lovely :-)


How cool is that title :-) :-). It could have been I am dark and lovely but this is much better in relation to issue in question.

I have come to the realisation that I am really DARK or my skin just became darker, because in the last couple of months more than anything else, I have received advise to lighten my skin! from different people, friends,family(yes they refuse to accept that dark skinned people are part of them) and acquittances.Some even decided to introduce me to diana.

Person X: Do you know diana?

Me:I know like two Dianas, the Diana you are asking about what does she do?

Person:I'm talking about Diana the face cream.

Me: Ok.What about it?

Person X:Do you know it?

Me:Yes I do.

Person X:Then,why don't you use it?

At this point I was tempted to go into this what is wrong with you and can you mind your business rant (in my head I did) but what I said, 'I'm happy with my skin and how it looks,I honestly do not see the need to lighten it'. Instead of letting it go the person adds 'Rahma you know you are a husband-seeker(really like does this word even exist) and men want light skinned women.

The worst is that he even gets my name wrong and I think whatever, if you cannot say my name correctly your opinion does not matter and even if you did and this was your opinion still it did not matter.

Me:Even if its obvious,that the lady is using skin lightening creams like diana?

Person X: Yes, why do you think all this women are using skin lighteners?

I gave up on this conversation and kept quite at this point.

A while ago I was having the same conversation with a friend who is team light skin and she tells me; 'You know, you are such a nice person, but you have to try more beauty products because for some reason you believe in marriage and love/want children (she thinks marriage is over-rated and as for children,she is still thinking :-)) and men are very visual and before they know you for this nice person you are, they have to find you attractive enough and being light skinned apparently is a huge part of this being attractive thing!

I probably bought eyeliner and lip-gloss after this but lighten my skin, I just cannot convince myself to do it,I will be lying to say I have not tried it before, I felt so insecure and was worried when I met people I knew because am sure after they saw me they always thought she bleached her skin!!!


Sometime(ok all the time) I come home from the field,people go like the sun must be crazy there your skin looks burnt/darker and I have to explain the heat and why my skin is darker and they suggest that maybe I should try some skin lightening cream,after which they always say, you'll be come prettier, really? because beauty is only light skin.I refuse to believe this theory of black skin might be beautiful but light skin is the right skin because beauty is such a subjective thing and one thing cannot be used to define it.



No comments:

Post a Comment