Sunday, January 20, 2019

Five Foods you must try when you visit Sri Lanka.

If there is one thing I did in 2018,it's that I ate to my heart's content.As with all things this has it's benefits and disadvantages.The good however outweighs the bad. For one I have no regrets or thoughts like 'maybe ningekula ile cake last week'. Sometimes I think maybe I should have gone easy on the rice last year because even if it's shrimp fried rice or vegetable biriyani at the end of the day it is still rice.FYI,vegetable biriyani I am so glad I tried you,because you are my answer to a delicious dish that doesn't have meat.The negative though is as expected I am basically a huge drum now,a friend that hadn't seen me since mid 2017, exclaimed 'UMENENEPA wala nini siku hizi?' 😭😭😭.

People travel for many reasons; to explore parts unknown,to rest,to learn new things and to experience a different culture .One thing is for sure,whatever your reason for travelling is you must eat every where you go.

My philosophy as regards eating while travelling is 'DO NOT EAT WHAT YOU CAN EASILY PREPARE AND EAT AT HOME'.I kept this in mind while visiting Sri Lanka.It's an Island country in Asia nicknamed 'The Pearl of India Ocean'.If you are ever in this beautiful tropical paradise be sure to try these foods.

Red Rice

Yum!!
It's very obvious that eating is one of those things that gives me joy.I am no glutton though so most times before a buffet confuses me,I try and make healthy choices.Red rice is whole grain,it has antioxidants and can aid in weight loss.On top of all this it so very delicious.Rice is a staple here.It's eaten at all meals including breakfast! My advise choose red rice for all it's health benefits.Also chances are like me this will be your first time eating it.

Buffalo Milk Curd

Buffalo Curd




Of all the foods I tried,Buffalo curd was what stood out the most for me.It tastes a lot like plain yoghurt and is eaten with a syrup made out of  jaggery.It's eaten as a dessert and felt like my redemption at the end of every large meal.This might be why I loved it so much.Guilt free dessert 😊.

Egg Hoppers

The deliciousness that is a egg hopper.
These are a breakfast meal that mimick the Somali anjera only difference is that they are bowl-shaped.They are made from fermented rice flour and coconut milk.One can have them plain or with an egg.They are the perfect breakfast as they are very filling.

Sea Food

Spot the shrimps on this plate 😋😋
Sri Lanka is sea food heaven as is expected for any place that is along a water body.There is such a wide variety ranging from; different fish species,prawns,shrimps,crabs..................the list goes on and on and on.It will be a shame if one visited the country and didn't eat any sea food.Eat what you love and then try something from the sea that you have never eaten before.

Coconut Sambol

Spicy coconut sambol,if you love hot food this will make you very happy.
Coconut sambol is some sort of  'kachumbari' that one eats with their meals.There are two types; plain and spicy.It's made out of grated coconut and if spicy loads of chilli is added to it.Sri Lankan's love their chilly therefore the spicy sambol isn't for the weak.The plain sambol however is so so good as it's just grated coconut 💖💖.

Spicy Beet Root Curry


Who knew beets could be used for more than smoothies and salads.Honestly it had never even crossed my mind until the day I ate some spicy beet root curry.I didn't particularly love this because of how HOT it was.If you love hot and spicy food,then this should be in your must try list. Also after eating this I did some research and found a beet-root and sweet potato soup recipe that is everything.Easy to make,nutritious and so delicious.

Sri Lanka is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been to.It's affordable,the people are very friendly,it's so very scenic and the food is out of this world.If you are looking for locations to travel to this year or to add to your travel bucket list.Sri Lanka should top it.

1 comment: